Spring 2023 Action Point notes
I had a fantastic 40-day visit at Action Point in February/March 2023. Here are a few notes from my trip that may benefit you:
- Shoes - My running shoes were quite spongy, so I didn't feel as connected to the ground as I would have in weight-training shoes.
- App to Track Workouts - I began using the "Hevy" app to track the workouts my Action Point Trainer set up for me to do at home. I wish I had used the app more while I was there, so I could remember and recreate all of the different workouts.
- Bidet - Toilet paper is not allowed down the toilet. As an American, I was unfamiliar with bidet operations. Although it's not rocket science, be cautious with the water pressure, as it can be quite umm.. stimulating.
- Beer - Don't. But if you do, note that they often pour it over ice or provide a cozy (which they expect you to return).
- Scooter Rental - If you stay for more than a week or two, I highly recommend renting a scooter to explore the area each afternoon. Talk to Sophia in the Kitchen once you get to Action Point. Action Point is an incredible place, but even paradise can become monotonous if it's all you see. I never encountered any police checkpoints, but I would suggest obtaining an International Drivers Permit before you leave.
- Bolt - Download the Bolt app, which is like Uber for Thailand. You pay cash at the end of the trip. VIP vans are often available when cars are booked up, and while they cost a bit more, the difference is typically insignificant (in USD).
Off-site highlights include:
- Cooking Class - The Blue Elephant cooking class is amazing, with different menus each day. I participated several times.
- Food Walking Tour - There are a couple of walking tours food in Old Phuket where a local guides you to various restaurants. Tours typically start at 10 AM and end at 2 PM, fitting well between Action Fit at 9 AM and a late PT session.
- Thai BBQ - This is one of my favorite things to eat, but it's best experienced with a local who can show you how it's done. I went to Chalong buffet at least weekly. It's an all-you-can-eat buffet cooked right at your table.
- Rawai Fish Market - This is a fun night out. Buy food at the fish market on one side of the street, then take it to a restaurant on the other side to eat. It's a must-do, especially with a group of 6-10 people from Action Point, but you'll mostly see "farangs" (tourists) there.
- Elephants - There are plenty of places to see elephants. It is very important to visit "rescued" elephants rather than those used for rides. Riding elephants and posting photos on social media is strongly discouraged
- Bangla Road - This area is mostly soft R to NC-17. No matter how adventurous you are, avoid the "ping-pong ball show" unless you want to bleach your eyes. However, it's the best place for live music and dancing on the island.
- Day Island Tour - If you have the opportunity to go on a speedboat tour to islands like Phi Phi, go early (6 AM) to beat the crowds.
- Hour Island Tour - If you're short on time, head to Rawai Beach and take a long-tail boat. I spent less than $60 USD for a round trip and lunch (including beer with ice).
Comments
Post a Comment